Top 10 Bible Verses About Music With Commentary
Music to me is a gateway to the soul. When you sing, meditate or just get into the groove of a song and think about Christ, your soul intertwines itself with the music. You get motivated to get out and proclaim the Good News to people! Music is such an awesome thing!
Here are 10 Bible verses about music with my thoughts for each. Enjoy!
10. Ephesians 5:19 – “Addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart…”
In this verse Paul is telling us to actually talk to each other by saying things found in psalms and music. For instance, Chris Tomlin’s song “Our God”, you could simply say to your brother/sister in Christ “If our God is with us then what could stand against?” Paul is also saying that we should be singing and making melody to the Lord constantly in our hearts. Can you imagine how wonderful and peaceful this world would be if everyone did this!
9. Psalm 104:33 – “I will sing to the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have being.”
This should be a daily thing for us. As believers in Christ we should be singing to God, if not out loud, in our hearts and minds.
8. Proverbs 25:20 – “Whoever sings songs to a heavy heart is like one who takes off a garment on a cold day, and like vinegar on soda.”
This one I never really thought about before, but it makes sense. If you have a dear friend who has just lost their mom to cancer, the last thing they would want from you is to hear you sing. What they need is someone to listen to them and pray with them.
7. Hebrews 2:12 – “Saying, ‘I will tell of Your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will sing Your praise.’”
This is an “I’m not holding anything back” verse. It says, “I’m going to sing my heart out at church with hands lifted high in praise of God!”
6. Acts 16:25 – “About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them.”
This is such an encouraging and motivating verse! Paul and Silas were in prison and were singing loud enough that the prisoners could hear them! Can I get an Amen! We can be assured that even in the darkest places God is with us!
5. 1 Corinthians 14:15-16 – “What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also. Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider say ‘Amen’ to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying? For you may be giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up.”
In a nutshell, it is an awesome thing to think about and praise God in your spirit, but if you are never vocally expressing your praises, you won’t be an encouragement or a role model to those around you. So, shout those praises!
4. Psalm 96:1 – “Oh sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth!”
Just like God doesn’t want us to say the same prayer over and over again, we should be singing and writing new songs to the Lord often to tell Him we love Him in a different way.
3. Psalm 51:15 – “O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare Your praise.”
This is a very peculiar, interesting verse. Have you ever asked God to open your lips so you could praise Him? This verse would be good to ponder.
2. 1 Chronicles 13:8 – “And David and all Israel were rejoicing before God with all their might, with song and lyres and harps and tambourines and cymbals and trumpets”
I love this verse! Do you give it your all when you praise God? Do you sing like He is the only one around? Do you play your instrument as skillfully as you can for Him?
1. Zephaniah 3:17 – “The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you by His love; He will exult over you with loud singing.”
I LOVE this verse! Our God loves us! He sings for us! I feel very unworthy of His song for me, but I am glad that He does sing over me!
I hope you have enjoyed this list of 10 of my favorite Bible verses about music! Tell me some of yours in the comments below! God bless you all!
Related reading: 10 Reasons I Love Christian Music
Resources The Holy Bible, English Standard Version “Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.