Top 15 Mark Driscoll Quotes
Mark Driscoll heads up the Mars Hill Church, in Seattle, WA. He has served in many different ways for the kingdom including: co-founding the Acts 29 Network, writing for “Faith and Values” for the Seattle Times, writing for “On Faith” for the Washington Post, writing many books, and preaching the Good News. Here are 15 of his best quotes.
15. “If you really want to be a rebel get a job, cut your grass, read your bible, and shut up. Because no one is doing that.”
14. “Repentance keeps sin from condemning us because Jesus died and scorned the shame.”( Real Marriage: The Truth about Sex, Friendship & Life Together)
13. “Marriage includes a spouse, and often children. But the goal, center, and purpose of marriage is not self, spouse, or children. The ultimate goal of marriage and family is the glory of God. Only when marriage and family exist for God's glory - and not to serve as replacement idols - are we able to truly love and be loved. Remember, neither your child nor your husband (or wife) should be who you worship, but instead who you worship with.” (Real Marriage: The Truth about Sex, Friendship & Life Together)
12. “Don't cohabitate. Don't fornicate. Don't look at pornography. Don't create a standard of beauty. Have your spouse be your standard of beauty. This is one of the great devastating effects of pornography: you lust after people and compare your spouse to them. It's impossible to be satisfied in your marriage if you don't have a standard that is biblical; that standard is always your spouse.”
11. “Are you letting culture, not scripture, determine your sexuality, how you date, how you present yourself, how you engage in certain relationships with members of the opposite sex? We need to be very clear that the way we do life is different than the rest of the world.”
10. “Stop looking for the path of least resistance and start running down the path of greatest glory to God and good to others, because that's what Jesus, the Real Man, did.” (Real Marriage: The Truth about Sex, Friendship & Life Together)
9. “I don't leave a lot of things open-ended theologically. I believe there's one God. I believe that Jesus is the only way to heaven. I believe we're all sinners. I believe in a real hell and a real heaven. So I'm a Bible guy, for sure. I don't make any apologies about that.”
8. “So I decided to start a church, for three reasons. First, I hated going to church and wanted one I liked, so I thought I would just start my own. Second, God had spoken to me in one of those weird charismatic moments and told me to start a church. Third, I am scared of God and try to do what he says.” (Confessions)
7. “You have been told that God is a loving, gracious, merciful, kind, compassionate, wonderful, and good sky fairy who runs a day care in the sky and has a bucket of suckers for everyone because we’re all good people. That is a lie… God looks down and says ‘I hate you, you are my enemy, and I will crush you,’ and we say that is deserved, right and just, and then God says ‘Because of Jesus I will love you and forgive you.’ This is a miracle.”
6. “Our God is a little offensive! Most of the people who really liked Him got killed!”
5. “God picked a junior high girl [to be Jesus' mother]. Jesus was raised by a woman who today, we wouldn’t even let her lead a bible study at a high school. But she could raise God.”
“The Truth" Matthew 5:14-16 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
4. “Our identity is not in our joy, and our identity is not in our suffering. Our identity is in Christ, whether we have joy or are suffering.”
3. “Any religious person who says he does not really need human friends because God is his Friend is calling God a liar because He's the One Who says we also need human friends.” (Real Marriage: The Truth about Sex, Friendship & Life Together)
2. “Performance is done for the sight and approval of others. Service is done knowing that God is watching and approving whether or not anyone else is. Performance causes us to be enslaved to others’ opinions, unable to say no, and prone to being overworked. Service frees us to do what God wants, thereby saying ‘no’ as needed. Performance presses us toward perfectionism, where we seek to do everything just right so others will praise us. Service allows us to do our best, knowing that God’s appreciation of us is secure regardless of our performance. Performance causes us to focus on the ‘big’ things and only do what is highly visible or significant. Service allows us to do simple, humble, and menial tasks—the “little things”—knowing that the peasant Jewish carpenter we worship equally appreciates them both.” (Who Do You Think You Are?: Finding Your True Identity in Christ)
1. “Study the Bible like a soldier on a mission, not a scholar on a sabbatical.”
If you enjoyed this quotes article, do not miss one of our most popular quotes article from exciting Pastor Francis Chan: 22 Awesome Francis Chan Quotes
While Mark Driscoll is more of an “in your face” type of pastor, he is on fire for God and he has helped many people on their own walks with the Lord. I hope you have enjoyed this list of my favorite 15 quotes by Mark Driscoll. God bless!